A perfect gift for the love on your Valentine’s list.
Here’s a project that does double-duty: it’s thoughtful, but also serves the purpose of getting that love of yours organized. Say bye-bye to tangles of cords laying around on the counter or stashed in junk drawers (sounds familiar, eh?). But really, it is a very kind gift – you can personalize it with your choice of fabric and vinyl. And no worries on its functionality – sturdy Dritz® rivets and elastic work together to keep cords and plugs in place.
- Ezy-Hem Gauge®
- Double-cap rivets
- Double-cap rivet tools
- 1” knit elastic (we used navy)
- Fray Check® liquid seam sealant
- Disappearing ink marking pen
- Pattern weights
- 1 pc: 6” x 14 ¾” of vinyl
- 2 pc: ¼” x 10 ½” of vinyl
- 1 pc: 6 ½” x 15 ¼” of cotton fabric for lining
- 1 pc: 6” x 14 ¾” of Heat’n Bond® Heavy Duty Iron-on Adhesive
- Iron and pressing surface
1) Using the Ezy-Hem Gauge®, press a 1/4” hem around all sides of the cotton. (Check out these helpful tips for using the Ezy-Hem Gauge®.)
2) Position iron-on adhesive, fusible side down, over wrong side of cotton lining. Be sure hemmed edges are under adhesive and all edges are lined up. Fuse following package instructions. Remove paper backing.
3) Place the wrong side of the cotton lining on top of the wrong side of the vinyl. Fuse the two pieces together. Press only on cotton fabric side.
4) Fold one of the short ends over 3” to create a pocket.
Tip: Use pattern weights to help keep fold in place for next step.
5) Secure both open sides of the pocket with 3 double-cap rivets following these easy installation guidelines.
6) With disappearing ink marking pen and ruler, mark elastic slit positions. Position ruler down the center of the roll and start marks 1/8” up from top of pocket. Follow diagram above for spacing of marks.
7) Cut 1” vertical slits at the marks with the rotary cutter. Make sure the mark is centered within the inch cut.
8) Cut the elastic 12” long and apply Fray Check® to both ends. (Watch a super quick video to see how easy it is to apply.)
9) Weave the elastic through your slits. Start on the cotton side with the pocket on left. Weave through your first cut going down.
10) Continue weaving elastic up and down through all slits. Be sure to leave a 1” tail of elastic on the pocket side. Cut the excess off to line up with the edge of the roll.
11) Secure the elastic inside the pocket using another double-cap rivet.
12) Lay the 2 vinyl strips on top of each other, right sides together. Place them on the opposite end of the pocket, under the elastic, about ¼” from the edge. Secure in place with a double-cap rivet.
You’re ready to start loading this baby up with cords! Use the pocket to hold plugs. Just need an individual cord wrap? Check out this no-sew tutorial and make a couple using elastic or felt.
Roll it up!
You’re looking at a nice little gift set right here – your love is sure to love it!
Like this no-sew project? We’ve got more! Check them all out here and see all the cool accessories you can make without lifting a needle or thread.