It’s a cool look for warm summer days.
I just love the way the Dritz® cable cord, D-ring and swivel hook are used to make this DIY yo-yo necklace. Love, love, love it! It’s a really easy project, and you can take it in many directions depending upon the fabrics you choose for the yo-yos, and the type of buttons you embellish them with. For summer, we went with the classic navy and white color combination. This necklace is versatile, too – it pairs perfectly with a t-shirt, tunic or shirtdress. Let’s make one, shall we?
Here are the supplies you’ll need to make this necklace:
- 6″ fabric squares (1 for each yo-yo)
- 72″ length of Dritz® Home 3/16″ cable cord
- Dritz® swivel hook (we used this one)
- Dritz® 3/4″ D-ring
- Dritz® Liquid Stitch™ fabric glue
- Dritz® Fray Check™ seam sealant
- Assorted Belle Buttons™
- White thread
- Needle & thread
- Tape (optional: for holding loose cable cord ends while you work)
|1) Cut your fabric into 6″ circles.
2) Make the fabric yo-yos following these instructions.
3) Stitch them together into a half circle (by hand or with a machine).
|4) Make a game plan for your buttons – figure out how you want them placed on top of the yo-yos.
TIP: We positioned our buttons and then took a quick picture to reference while we worked (genius, huh?).
|5) Stitch thread through your button holes to give them extra color and detail, even though you will be gluing many of them onto the yo-yos.|
|6) Stitch or glue the buttons in place with Liquid Stitch™. Set this yo-yo embellishment aside as you create the braided cord for the necklace.|
|7) To create the braided cord, cut the cable cord into three 24″ lengths. Loop one set of the cord ends through the swivel hook and apply a line of Liquid Stitch™ as shown (the glue is approximately 1″ from the ends of the cable cord).
TIP: To prevent the other ends of the cord from unraveling while you work, wrap them with tape.
|8) Fold the cording through the swivel hook, press into the glue, wrap white thread around them several times and tie to secure.
9) Trim the ends of the cable cord and apply Fray Check™ seam sealant.
10) Now braid the loose ends of the cable cord. Finish the opposite set of cords by tying with thread the same way. Stitch this end to one side of your yo-yo embellishment. Trim and apply Fray Check™.
|10) Sew a D-ring to the top edge of the last yo-yo on the opposite side of your yo-yo embellishment.|
|11) Fasten the swivel hook and D-ring and you’re good to go!|
Love it? Tell us about it! We’d love to hear from you.