Your summer wardrobe needs them all.
The warmer temps are here and that means it’s skirt time! What better way to celebrate summer than with a closet full of these lovelies? An elastic waist summer skirt hits all kinds of marks: easy to make, fun to wear, appropriate for all ages, ideal for many occasions. The fabric you choose gives you all kinds of versatility. And that elastic. You’ll use colorful Dritz soft waistband elastic for the exposed elastic waist styles, and a basic non-roll for the hidden elastic waist. Oh, and did we mention that you can whip one up in an hour or less? That’s winning.
Best elastic waist skirt: the faux wrap.
- Key ingredients: Dritz 2″ soft waistband elastic; Dritz double-cap rivets; 3/4-yd to 2 yards of fabric.
- Why it wins: chic-looking wrap, but with a comfy elastic waistband that stays put.
Best elastic waist skirt: the clean finish.
- Key ingredients: Dritz waistband elastic (you can use 1-1/2″, 1-3/4″ or 2″ widths); 1/2-5/8 yard of fabric.
- Why it wins: all raw fabric edges are hidden, giving it a clean, professional finish.
Best elastic waist skirt: the hidden waistband.
- Key ingredients: Dritz 3/4″ non-roll elastic; 3/4-1 yard of fabric.
- Why it wins: ultra-easy beginner project, only 30 minutes to make – the hidden waistband lets the fabric take center stage.
Curious about the fabric? All are from Art Gallery Fabrics (Pat Bravo’s Indie Folk collection).
Happy summer sewing!