Personalize your blooms with a Dritz® leather label and show mom the love!
Mother’s day is right around the corner – are you ready with some love? If your mom is a fan of simple blooms, here’s a way to make them extra special. Make a quick and easy vase cover to dress them up! Personalize the fabric cover with a Dritz® leather label, and proclaim your love – there are several sayings to choose from.
- Cotton fabric that coordinates with your flowers
- Lightweight fusible interfacing (such as Fairfield™ Stabilize)
- Perle cotton or embroidery floss
- 1 set of Velcro® 2″ x 1/2″
- Omnigrid® rotary cutter, mat and ruler
- Mason jar or vase
- WS = wrong side
- RS = right side
- RST = right sides together
- SA = seam allowance
|Gather your supplies.|
|Choose a leather label for your project. The sayings that are most appropriate for this particular project are one of a kind, made with love, and original. After all, we’re talking about mom, right?
|1) Measure the circumference of your vase and add 1-1/2″. We used a wide-mouth Ball jar that is 4-1/2″ tall and 10-1/4″ around.
2) Cut 2 pieces of fabric that are 3″ tall x vase circumference + 1-1/2″. We cut ours 3″ x 11-3/4″.
3) Cut fusible interfacing 1/2″ smaller than the fabric. Ours was 2-1/2″ x 11-1/4″.
Center and apply interfacing to WS of one piece of fabric.
|4) With perle cotton, hand stitch the label in the center of the fabric with interfacing.|
|5) Pin both pieces of fabric RST.
Stitch all sides with a 1/4″ SA leaving a 1-1/2″ opening on a short end for turning. Be sure to backstitch at the beginning and end.
6) Trim corners, turn fabric RSO and press.
|7) Edgestitch, making sure to backstitch at the beginning and end, and also to catch the opening.|
|8) Place cover around the jar and determine placement of Velcro®.|
|9) Stitch Velcro® in place.|
|10) Place cover on jar, fill with water and add your flowers!|
|Simple, but oh so thoughtful. You like?
Hint: these are perfect for mom, but you can use the new Dritz® labels to make a fabric vase cover and dress up blooms any time you’re in a gift-giving mood!